When you are on a gluten-free, low carbohydrate diet, sometimes you miss the familiar savory taste of a cracker. There are many options! I just tried this recipe and it turned out well.
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups almond flour, blanched or raw, finely ground*
- *Finely ground (rather than coarse-ground) blanched almond flour makes the crispiest crackers.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together the egg, salt, pepper, and any additional spices or add-ins (see "tips," below.)
- Add the almond flour, stirring to make a cohesive dough.
- Place the dough onto a sheet of parchment, or a piece of plastic wrap. Pat it out with your hands, and top with an additional piece of parchment or plastic wrap. Roll the dough out to about 1/8" thickness; it should be about 10" x 12", or larger.
- Remove the top paper, and use a pizza wheel or knife to cut 1" squares. Move the cut crackers, along with their parchment, to the baking sheet. If you've used plastic wrap, spray the pan with non-stick baking spray, and transfer the crackers from the plastic to the pan.
- Bake the crackers for 14 to 16 minutes, until they're light golden brown. The crackers around the perimeter will tend to brown more quickly, so transfer those to a cooling rack and return the pan to the oven to finish baking the remaining center crackers.
- Cool the crackers completely before transferring them to an airtight bag for room-temperature storage.